This product is a recording of the Appraisal Institute webinar that was conducted on July 30, 2013.
Once the Appraisal Institute confirms your payment, you will receive an e-mail containing a link to the webinar recording.
Please note: The interactive features of the webinar (e.g. poll/survey questions and the final evaluation) are NOT available in the recording. In addition, Appraisal Institute continuing education credit is NOT available for viewing the recording.
Property Taxation: Valuation and Consultation Services
Date: July 30, 2013
Duration: 2 hours
This webinar addresses how appraisers fit under the umbrella of the property tax services industry. From preparing appraisal and appraisal review reports to providing information in a clear, objective and competent manner, appraisers can provide tremendous assistance to both the public and private sectors.
Although appraisers often prepare appraisal and appraisal review reports in assessment appeal environments, appraisers can also routinely provide other valuation and valuation-related services. Remaining an objective professional in providing credible property tax services requires the appraiser to maintain clear communications with clients about the services provided and the appraiser’s role in providing them.
In this webinar, participants will:
- Identify the role of the appraiser in providing property tax and related services while maintaining objectivity and competence
- Recognize the services that appraiser can provide beyond preparing appraisal and appraisal review reports, including:
- assisting taxpayers in ascertaining the correctness of their assessment records
- assisting municipalities in distinguishing real from personal property and the taxable status of property
- assisting in dispute resolution conferences when disagreements arise between property owner’s belief and assessor
- Learn inherent nuances in preparing appraisal reports for property tax purposes versus other uses
- Identify intended users and “loading” the overall capitalization rate for respective property tax burdens
Micheal R. Lohmeier, MAI, SRA, FASA, RES
Lawrence J. Golicz, Ph.D., MAI, ASA, Independent Valuation Consultant
, City Assessor, City of Auburn Hills, Michigan