Use of Membership Designations and Emblems
Guidelines for Proper Usage
We’re proud that you’re part of our community and encourage you to showcase your achievements.
Please use the Appraisal Institute trademarked designations and emblems to communicate your commitment to the valuation profession to your clients, peers and the public.
Learn more about how, when and where to use AI terms and symbols.
Any use of an AI membership designation must comply with the following requirements:
- The membership designations can only be used in conjunction with the name of the individual Designated Member who achieved the designation(s).
- The membership designations must appear in capital letters and in the same type style and size in which the Designated Member’s name appears.
- The letters in each membership designation must be used without a period or space after each letter.
- If a Designated Member holds multiple membership designations, the designations must be separated by a comma, not a hyphen.
If a firm has at least one owner, partner, or employee who is a Designated Member of AI and who performs services identified by USPAP for the firm, the firm may include a statement in its promotional materials that’s similar to the following:
“(Name of firm) has as owners, partners or employees (number) individuals who hold Appraisal Institute’s (fill in) designation, and (number) individuals who hold Appraisal Institute’s (fill in) designation. Some individuals may hold more than one Appraisal Institute designation.”
Designation emblems must be used in accordance with the following requirements:
- Only a Designated Member who holds a specific designation can use the associated emblem.
- The trademark symbol ® should always appear with the designation emblems.
- The designation emblems cannot be displayed in conjunction with a firm or in any manner that might be interpreted as referring to any entity other than the individual Designated Member.
- The emblems cannot be used adjacent to a list of names that includes both AI Professionals and non-Professionals.
- The emblems can appear only once on a Designated Member’s stationery, correspondence, report covers, business cards or marketing materials.
- Designation emblems cannot be used in any three-dimensional applications or on gifts, premiums, apparel awards, or decals without AI’s written permission.
Emblems must be exact reproductions of the originals and be reproduced in the official AI colors unless written authorization is obtained from the Appraisal Institute national office.
Please refer to Use of Appraisal Institute Designations, Designation Emblems and Corporate Signature
Please follow the applicable usage requirements for these marks, and for any reference to AI affiliation.
Note: The following guidance materials are currently being updated and may not reflect the recent updates to Regulation No. 5.
- Appraisal Institute Regulation No. 5
Governs use of designations, logos and emblems
- Trademark Usage Manual
Proper trademark usage with examples
- Use of Appraisal Institute Designations, Designation Emblems and Corporate Signature
Information on proper references to membership, candidacy and affiliation with examples.
Questions or Comments
Questions on the use of AI designations, designation emblems or logo? Contact us! We’re here to help.
Improper references to AI affiliation or our designations, emblems or logos may constitute violations of the Appraisal Institute trademark rights. Think you see a violation? Please let us know!