Pursue a Designation
The Designated Difference
The prestigious Appraisal Institute designations (MAI, SRA, AI-GRS and AI-RRS) are widely recognized credentials of distinction among those who dominate the valuation profession.
Why achieve an AI designation? Here are some reasons why:
- Communicates to employers, clients and peers you have achieved the highest levels of expertise and competency in real estate valuation.
- Opens doors in the appraisal profession for elevated career prospects as only 8% of valuation professionals in the United States hold an AI designation.
- Demonstrates your commitment to professionalism, integrity and high standards of excellence in the valuation industry.
- Expands your income opportunities as Designated Members historically earn substantially more than non-designated valuation professionals.
- Attests to your professional discipline as obtaining an AI designation is considered one of the most rigorous pursuits in the valuation world.
- Distinguishes you as a leader in the field committed to ongoing learning and professional development.
- Provides you with up-to-date information, knowledge, and resources to ensure accurate, reliable and impartial valuation of some of the most complex appraisal work.
Invest in your future today by earning an AI designation! Take the next step now and join as a Practicing Affiliate or Candidate for Designation.
Candidates are individuals committed to pursuing AI designations and include certified real property appraisers, tax assessors, appraisal reviewers, or those who hold approved equivalencies or designations with other organizations.
Candidates receive personal support from AI candidate mentors and staff in completing their designation journey!
Do you still need to complete the designation prerequisites? Join as a Practicing Affiliate!
Click on the links below to learn more about requirements and create a prerequisite checklist!
The MAI membership designation is held by professionals who provide a range of services for all types of real property.View All Requirements
The SRA membership designation is held by professionals who provide a range of services in the valuation of residential properties.View All Requirements
The AI-GRS membership designation is held by professionals who provide a range of services in all types of commercial real property appraisal review.View All Requirements
The AI-RRS membership designation is held by professionals who provide a range of services in residential real property appraisal review.View All Requirements
Candidate Fees Explained
Annual dues for a Candidate for Designation are $515.
Candidates are also required to pay fees for requirements like comprehensive exam(s), experience submissions, demonstration of knowledge and the designation application.Learn More About Fees for Candidates
Designated Membership Dues
Once you achieve a designation, you must pay annual dues to maintain designated membership and access AI benefits.
These dues vary based on your designation and chapter/region affiliation.See Dues Breakdown for Designated Membership